This evening I decided to upgrade my development Sitecore virtual and start afresh. Little did I know the pain that would cause me.
The specs of the new virtual were as follows: Windows 8.1 (64 Bit), SQL Server 2012, VS 2012 and Sitecore 6.5
I was moving from a windows 7 box and honestly I’m not sure if it was IIS 8.5 or .Net 4.5 that was causing the problems, but for my future reference and for anyone elses, here are the issues I experienced.
After setting up the virt and installing all the tools I would need, I started installing Sitecore. After doing so I tried to hit the home page and got the following IIS message:
This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default.. Then there was some message about the handler being locked because of OverrideModeDefault=”deny”.
I apologize for not including screen shots or providing the full error, but now that it is working I can’t seem to get it back to not working.
To resolve this issue I did two things: Referring to this article: http://sitecoreblog.blogspot.com/2011_09_01_archive.html
I ran: %windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe unlock config -section:system.webServer/security/requestFiltering
(Note: Ensure you are running as Administrator or you may have issues)
Next I navigated here using Notepad++: %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config and modified the <section name=”handlers” overrideModeDefault=”Deny” /> to be <section name=”handlers” overrideModeDefault=”Allow” />
I also modified the node for modules since after changing “handlers” I got the same issue, but with modules from the web.config.
This got me past that issue, but now I was getting
Http error 404.3 – Not Found
The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded add a MIME Type.
The resolution for this was to go into Windows Features which can be found by typing in appwiz.cpl in the search and then “Turn windows features on or off”. You can also go through Control Panel -> Programs -> Program and Features – “Turn windows features on or off”.
Under “.Net Framework 4.5 Advanced Services -> WCF Services, check “HTTP Activiation”. Then Ok.
This feature will now install and after installation try the homage page again. If it still doesn’t work try doing and IISRESET.
Additional Debugging Options:
1. Initially I was trying to use SIM to do the installation and that was not working. The Sitecore installation I finally got working was installed using an .exe. I’m not sure if SIM has issues for the first sitecore instance, but that is another possible work around if you are still having issues.
2. Also I found during one install that in IIS under “Default Document” there was no “default.aspx”. Adding this got me to another error, but at the time I blew the instance away so I’m not sure if that would have helped. That installation was with SIM so there is another options to try.
I hope this blog has been helpful and you have Sitecore up and running much more quickly then I did. It is an amazing product and there is far to much fun to be had without being stuck on the install.
Latest posts by Avtex (see all)
- CRM Success: Top Impacts to the Success of CRM Implementations - January 18, 2017
- Top 6 Things to Consider When Making the Transition to Microsoft Office 365 - January 18, 2017
- Exploring Journey Mapping and Its Role in Customer Experience - January 18, 2017